When it comes to skin care, the world can seem like a big confusing place. We’re constantly bombarded with new products and treatments, as well as all kinds of information—some good, some bad—surrounding skin care. Because there are so many products and options, it can be difficult to know what to use, when to use it, and how often.
To make matters more complicated, skin care routines vary from person to person depending on your skin type (dry, oily, combination, etc.), your age (as we age our skin changes), any skin concerns you have (acne breakouts, sun damage, wrinkles), and more.
So while there is no one-size-fits-all approach to skin care, there are several common mistakes that many people make when it comes to caring for their skin. Here are a few of these mistakes and how you can fix them.
When it comes to skin care, it seems like there are a million little things to consider. Keeping your rountine simple can help you be more consistent and see better results. Here are some common mistakes that I see clients making with their skin care rountine:
1) Not washing off your make-up at night. This is probably the most common mistake that I see with my clients. We all have busy lives and sometimes we just don’t feel like taking off our make-up, but this is something that you absolutely need to do to keep your skin healthy and break-out free. If this has become a habit then find something that works for you and try to get in the habit of doing it every night.
2) Using products that do not work for your skin type or concerns. This is another one that I come across alot with my clients. Just because a product is expensive, hyped up or gets great reviews from others does not mean it will work for you. Your skin may not agree with certain ingredients and certain products may not be formulated for your concerns or skin type. It’s important to know what your concerns are and what types of products will help address those issues. Don’t be afraid to try new things, but if after
I’ve been getting a lot of questions from you guys about what products to use, how to deal with acne, aging and so on. I decided to share some tips I learned along the way over the years that are super easy to follow.
I want you to take a minute and think back on all the skin care tips you’ve heard, read or watched and ask yourself; how many were actually backed by science? And if they were, was it relevant for your skin type?
It’s time for a change! I’m going to share with you guys some common mistakes people make when it comes to the basics of their skin care routine and how to fix them.
1) Going From Clean To Dirty Skin In A Split Second
The first thing we are doing after we wake up is washing our face. Now if our skin is clean, we want to keep it that way as long as possible. Most of us just wash our face with water and then we jump into makeup or skincare products with different pH values that change the acid mantle and natural barrier of our skin. This way we can become more sensitive, prone to fine lines and breakouts.
How to fix this: Use only products with a pH
1. You’re Not Using Sunscreen Every Day
It’s easy to forget to put on SPF when you’re in a rush out the door, but it’s so important that I can’t stress it enough. Protecting your skin from the sun is the single most important thing you can do for your skin. Daily use of sunscreen on your face helps reduce the risk of skin cancer, prevents premature aging (wrinkles, laxity, pigmentation, skin erosion), and decreases the incidence of melanoma — especially if used during childhood.
2. You’re Only Applying Moisturizer Once A Day
You should ideally be moisturizing twice daily — once in the morning, and once at night before bed. Your skin goes through a lot in the day; between exposure to pollutants and toxins, fluctuating hormone levels that lead to oil imbalances, and stress levels that can cause increased sensitivity in the skin. The best time to start taking care of your skin is during your youth — this means that as soon as you hit puberty (or earlier), you should begin maintaining a proper skincare regimen.
3. You Think That Oil-Free Products Work Best For Your Skin
Many people want to achieve beautiful, healthy skin. What they do not realize is that many of the things they are doing in their daily lives are actually damaging their skin and making it more susceptible to breaking out, wrinkles and other signs of aging.
Below you will find a list of common mistakes you are likely to be making that could be causing damage to your skin. You will also learn what you can do to reverse this damage and get healthier, younger looking skin.
1. Washing Your Face With Harsh Soaps
Many people think the best way to wash their face is with hot water and harsh soaps. This is not true. Harsh soaps can strip natural oils from your skin which can cause your skin to become dried out and produce excess oil as a result. Therefore, keep in mind that not all facewashes are created equal. Choose one that is labeled for sensitive or dry skin and avoid any that contain alcohol or ingredients such as sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) which can cause irritation and dryness.
2. Not Using Sunscreen Daily
The sun’s rays may feel fabulous on your face but the truth is they are doing serious damage to your skin each time you go outside without protection. UV rays
You’re not using sunscreen.
You’re using moisturizer with SPF in it and thinking that that’s enough.
You’re not moisturizing twice a day.
You wash your face with hand soap or body wash.
You don’t cleanse your skin after working out.
You’re buying expensive products without looking at the ingredients.
You’re not drinking enough water.
You’re using too much product.
1. Not washing your hands before applying lotion